Norman Macleod Caie, eldest son of the Rev. Dr. George Johnstone Caie of Forfar, was born on October 2, 1874. He was educated at George Watson's College, Edinburgh; the University of St. Andrews; and the University of Jena, Germany. At St. Andrews he won the Berry Theological Fellowship; at Jena he studied under Professors Wendt, Hilgenfeld, and Von Dobschutz.
In 1898 he was licensed by the Presbytery of Forfar and became Assistant at St. Mary's, Partick. He was ordained to New Kilpatrick, Bearsden in June, 1899; translated to St. Matthew's Parish, Edinburgh, in 1907 and to Pollokshields Parish in 1911. In 1917 he accepted a call to the First Charge in Hamilton where he "remained until failing health necessitated the appointment of an Assistant and Successor in 1930, by which time he had built up an imposing reputation as a preacher and writer.
While at St. Andrews he had lectured in Church History and delivered a course on "Post- Reformation Episcopacy in Scotland". Many of his sermons were published and among the great number of items from his pen was a song issued in 1917 entitled "A Mother's Good-Bye".
In 1928 St. Andrews University conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.
Dr. Caie died at Stewarton in 1937, aged 62 years.