The Rev. David Jamieson
David Jamieson was born at Rhynie, Aberdeenshire, in 1847. His first ministry took him south of the border to Wirksworth Independent Chapel; from Derbyshire he returned to Scotland and in 1880 became minister of the Parkgrove Congregational Chapel, Paisley Road West, Glasgow.
In 1886 he was admitted to the Church of Scotland and ordained to the charge of Titwood Chapel of Ease attached to Govan Parish. He was considered an outstanding preacher and during his ministry the number of communicants rose to over 500. In 1896 he demitted the charge and set off to New Zealand where he was admitted to the Presbyterian Church as minister of Trinity Church, Akaroa in 1897.
The centennial historical record book on the Presbyterian Parish of Akaroa states that the Rev. D. Jamieson of Glasgow was a minister of exceptional talent during whose term the church at Pigeon Bay was erected and opened. The parish extended to cover Pigeon Bay, Walnut, Robinson's, Bay, and Duvauchelle.
Mr. Jamieson was obviously a man of parts, determined not to get into a rut. On May 17, 1901, the Akaroa Mail had a had paragraph to the effect that the Christchurch Presbytery had accepted his resignation and so far as can be traced he left Akaroa on a coach bound for Christchurch on May 28, 1901.
The Church of Scotland records indicate that he took orders in the Episcopal Church in New Zealand but the Diocese of Christchurch could find no record that he had been ordained to the Anglican Church.
| Printable Version|